Friday November.7th Sunny
This week is special again, since we had our term test 2. Also, solutions for assignment 2 have been posted. Carefully reading those solutions would be a good review. In this journal, I will talk about both contents covered in our lectures tutorial for week 9.
Firstly, as usual, I will introduce the materials which are new to us from this week. Due to test 2, we just have two lectures this week. Professor showed some exercises of big-Oh proofs and introduce how to prove big-Oh using limit techniques as well.
Secondly, I will talk about the hardest part this week and how I am trying to make it easier for myself. Of course that the combination of limit and big-Oh is a difficult topic, but I think it is also interesting. As a mathematics student, I was really happy I could use L’hopital in a computer science course since I was familiar with that. I did some exercise for reviewing application of L’hopital and feel great.
Thirdly, I would not show a to prove as what I usually did, but show a specific example about how to apply L’Hopital. This is because I know how important this application is.
lim n2 = lim 2n = lim 2 = 0
n→ ∞ 2n n→ ∞ 2n × ln2 n→ ∞ 2n × ln2 × ln2
I understand many of you are not in Mathematics program. I found a slog wrote by my classmate which help you guys review concepts for limit. Here is the link:
http://zhexinlai.blogspot.ca/2014/11/why.html
Lastly, our tutorial of this week helped us do calculation about algorithm. What I think is pretty important is that, we should record each time according to the specific question. I mentioned this here since even if a same function, the worst-case and the best-case would get totally different answer.
This is the end of the journal.
Much appreciated for reading my journal.
See you next week :)
No comments:
Post a Comment